Here’s a delicious and easy recipe for whole wheat cinnamon roll. This recipe is from Cooking Light magazine.
Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 1/2 packages dry yeast (about 3 1/4 teaspoons)
- 3/4 cup warm fat-free milk (100° to 110°)
- 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 11.25 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 1/2 cups), divided
- 7 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 1. To prepare dough, dissolve yeast in warm milk and 1/4 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes or until foamy. Add butter and next 5 ingredients (through egg white); stir well. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 2 cups all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour, stirring until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface.
- 2. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky). Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; roll into a 16 x 12-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Coat surface of dough with cooking spray.
- 3. To prepare filling, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; sprinkle over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle raisins over dough, pressing gently into dough. Roll up rectangle tightly, starting with a long edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam to seal. Cut the dough into 16 rolls. Place the rolls, cut sides up, in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 5. Uncover rolls. Bake at 375° for 22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- 6. To prepare glaze, place powdered sugar and vanilla in a small bowl. Add 5 teaspoons milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, stirring to form a thick glaze. Drizzle glaze evenly over rolls.