Italian Nut Ball Cookies
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 2 egg yolks (reserve whites)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups of nuts (chopped walnuts or pistachios)
- Jam -- any flavor
- Combine sugar, salt, spices, butter and eggs (everything except the flour) and mix well for about 1 minute with an electric hand mixer.
- Gradually add flour blending on low speed or mixing by hand until fully incorporated.
- Portion dough into 1" balls.
- Beat the reserved egg whites slightly to give them a little volume.
- Roll the dough balls in the egg whites then roll them in the chopped nuts.
- Make a small depression in the middle of each dough ball before baking.
- Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes until firm and light brown.
- Immediately remove cookies from cookie sheet and fill the center depressions with a small amount of jam.
- Allow jam to set before storing.